The Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft and its museum
Zurich's Kunsthaus owes its origins not to some prince bent on creating a monument to his own glory or gifts from a ‚Grand Louvre’ overflowing with the fruits of Napoleon’s avarice, nor to an artist obsessed with his own work or the art treasures amassed by a compulsive collector. Rather, it began with a small social group of artists and art lovers who began meeting regularly in 1787 for friendly discussions and mutual encouragement.
Thus, during more than two centuries the oldest still active art association has matured and now counts more than 20'000 members. Thanks to the contributions of the City and Canton of Zurich, and supporters and sponsors the association actively organizes a number of exhibitions. An important collection grows and offers insights into Zurich's cultural background as well as outlooks into European art from the late Gothic to the present day.
From 2001 to 2005 the exhibition and collection halls have been extensively remodeled; they have been reopened with a hanging of contemporary new acquisitions.